Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Culturally Relevant Pedagogy-A Representation




When deciding to enlighten and inspire a group of students, it is  important that your approach comes from a culturally relevant perspective. This is exactly what happened when our guest speaker, Sir Ervin Williams III came to Mathews Dickey Boys and Girls Club recently. In this inquiry based lesson, Mr. Williams opened up the session by asking the students to define what they perceived as a man with a one word description. During this part of the lesson, the adults in the room felt the need to engage in the conversation just as much as the students. This was followed up by a healthy but very productive debate based on a real life situation that involved one of Mr. Williams’s former students which tied into that definition of a man.  The fact that many students could relate to this situation is what made this lesson the epitome of culturally relevant pedagogy. Following this very engaging discussion, Mr. Williams began educating the students on how although we may see ourselves as as smart, honest or intelligent, others may see us as something negative or undesirable. He explained that this is what leads to many of us falling victim to an unjust infrastructure as we are witnessing in the media as of late. He concluded by making sure that we understood the importance of knowing who we are and  having integrity  by not being afraid to stand by the truth even when it is not the most popular  thing to do at the moment.  The big picture that Mr. Williams painted for the students was that in due time, doing the right thing will be the most beneficial.

14 comments:

  1. Ervin did this excercise with my 7th grade male students and it was amazing to see how engaged and open they were! They asked about Mr. Williams all year! He is definitely a man who has a gift to connect with our youth! I have called on him countless times to mentor the young men I work with in multiple arenas from school, church, sports, etc. continue to pour into the lives of our youth Mr. Williams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Williams is awesome! He came to speak with our middle school boys in our Man Up Program. The experience that our young men endured was essential to their growth and understanding as it relates to manhood and citizenship.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've known Ervin for more than a couple of years and he's proven himself time after time to be one of the most selfless and genuine people I've ever come across. Nothing about this story surprises me. It only confirms what I already knew about him. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Williams came to read to my first grade class and he hooked each student! They paid close attention to everything he said and did not want him to leave! Awesome job yet again Mr. Williams!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can I say.... SirErvin Williams is an interesting guy. HECK, HE'S ONE OF MY ROLE MODELS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now im no expert on people but SirErvin Williams (my big cuz by the way)is a force. He is a true example of what a realist is. From planning events to speeches he reaches even the most concrete minds. I've seen him doI this time after time with little to no filter. Cuz aka raw deal. I got nuthin but love for you and thank God my family has you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. SirErvin is a powerful, passionate, and very positive brother that Im honored to call a friend. He cares deeply for the kids always!!! From his one man show "The Messengers" to everyday life he continues to soar....trying to reach one and teach several.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have known Ervin Williams for a long time. Our friendship stems from our days of educating youth at an inner city charter school. He is truly amazing with the kids. His lessons have ALWAYS been culturally responsive and he has never been afraid to speak about topics the kids are currently facing. He builds them into lessons coteaching self awareness and perseverance. Students have learned to see the world through various perspectives while truly engaging in content.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that guy, he is nothing short of amazing and the epitome of brilliance is him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. He Is a very positive person,I love the way he speak to you, he know how to help you see the good in others (don't judge)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sir Erv is a stand up guy, his realness and creativity captivates anyone in his presence, I had the honor to read for a Web series that he wrote, I hope that I make the cut to be used as talent in the project, if not I look forward to future opportunities and a valued friendship with Sir Erv...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am Ervin's aunt he has always been a good child and now a good man I have seen him with some of his students and they all love him. He takes time out of his day to help children when ever they call on him he also make time for his nieces and nephews. Ervin your family is so proud of all You have accomplished. I am blessed to have you as my nephew. Love Always aunt Tee

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am Ervin's aunt he has always been a good child and now a good man I have seen him with some of his students and they all love him. He takes time out of his day to help children when ever they call on him he also make time for his nieces and nephews. Ervin your family is so proud of all You have accomplished. I am blessed to have you as my nephew. Love Always aunt Tee

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all so much for the kind words... Ya'll trying to make me fee special... No thank you, you honestly don't know what this has done for my spirit...

    ReplyDelete